Each year, the New Jersey Association of Verismo Opera launches the new season with the Annual International Vocal Competition. The 2018-2019 season kicks off in November 2018, marking the company’s 30th Annual International Vocal Competition. The competition’s process allows Verismo Opera to select a range of finalists and nurture them through extensive personal coaching on language, style and presentation. This prepares them for their private performance for the company’s elite team of judges.
The competition is open to vocalists of all ages worldwide. Furthermore, vocalists, who have performed in Verismo Opera’s productions or applied previously to the vocal competition, may apply. The deadline to apply is October 31, 2018.
In 2018, vocalists take advantage of these opportunities in the New Jersey Association of Verismo Opera’s 30th Annual International Vocal Competition. A free master class is offered to all applicants accepted to sing in the preliminary auditions. In addition, finalists selected to perform in the vocal competition may attend three four-hour free master classes.
Metropolitan Opera legend Lucine Amara and the New Jersey Association of Verismo Opera’s Stage Director, Canadian soprano Evelyn La Quaif, teach the master classes. They provide instruction in several areas, including deportment, language, style and presentation.
All master classes take place at Yeoryia Studios, located at the Epic Security Building, 2067 Broadway in New York, New York in the United States. Verismo Opera announces in the fall the dates of the free master classes for participants in the preliminary auditions. Afterward, master classes for finalists will be announced.
Verismo Opera, the house opera company of the Bergen Performing Arts Center (bergenPAC), is known for presenting grand productions as the composer intended. Finalists may perform in these fully staged operas at the bergenPAC.
Preliminary & Final Auditions
In the fall of 2018, the preliminary and final auditions occur at Nola Studios, located at 250 West 54th Street, 11th Floor-Studio B in New York City in New York City, New York in the United States.
These are the audition dates in 2018:
- Preliminary auditions take place on November 1, 3, 6, and 8, 2018 from 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Final auditions occur on December 6, 2018 from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
A panel of luminary judges iniclude Metropolitan Opera legend Lucine Amara, Verismo Opera’s Music Director/Principal Conductor Maestra Lucy Arner, and Verismo Opera’s General Manager/Stage Director Evelyn La Quaif. A professional accompanist is provided to all participants at the preliminary and final auditions. Upon request, the judges’ comments are sent to all preliminary participants and finalists.
Vocal Competition: Application
The application consists of the following:
- A completed application form with a list of five arias, including the opera, composer, and language. Download an application here.
- Audio File (MP3 file or a CD) containing at least three arias;
- Headshot (8 x 10 black and white photo); and
- Application Fee. The early bird application fee is $55 through July 31, 2018. Afterward, the fee is $75. Payment may be made securely online located at the bottom of the page or by check made out and sent to Verismo Opera, P.O. Box 3024, Fort Lee, New Jersey 07024-9024.
Last, applicants schedule a mandatory audition appointment in advance. To set up an audition appointment or for further information about the vocal competition or Verismo Opera, contact email@example.com or call (201) 886-0561. Applicants accepted to the vocal competition are notified.
• Applications are due October 31, 2018.
• Early Bird Registration Deadline: July 31, 2018. The fee is $55.
• August 1 through October 31, 2018: The application fee is $75.
29th Vocal Competition: Winners and Finalists Announced
Artistic Director Lucine Amara announces the winners and finalists of the New Jersey Association of Verismo Opera’s 29th Annual International Vocal Competition held in November and December of 2017. Congratulations to these winners:
- First place – Soprano Yulan Piao $2,000
- Second place – Tenor Peter Scott Drackley $1,000
- Third place – Tenor Taehwan Ku $500
For the first time in the company’s history, the distinction of Honorable Mention is awarded to Carami Hilaire and Hayan Kim.
The finalists are: Peter Scott Drackley, Xueyan Fan, Joseph Han, Carami Hilaire, Kang Seok Hoon, Hayan Kim, Taehwan Ku, Helaine Liebman, Yulan Piao, and Gyuyeon Shanel Shim. Read more about the New Jersey Association of Verismo Opera’s 29th Annual International Vocal Competition’s winners and finalists.
An illustrious panel of judges adjudicated the final round of the competition. The judges included Emily Pulley, Simón Saad, and Lucy Arner.