The New Jersey Association of Verismo Opera announces new dates to audition for the Verismo Opera Chorus. Professional, amateur, and retired male and female singers are invited to apply and join this growing chorus. Furthermore, the Verismo Opera Chorus performs in the company’s new production of Vincenzo Bellini’s Norma on October 28, 2018 at the Bergen Performing Arts Center in Englewood, New Jersey.
Verismo Opera Chorus Auditions
New dates to audition for the Verismo Opera Chorus are:
- September 5. 6:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, 840 Soldier Hill Road in Emerson, New Jersey.
- September 8. 1:30 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. Furthermore, contact Chorus Coordinator Mary Ellen Rohon at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (201) 886-0561 to confirm the location of the audition.
- September 12. 6:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church, 357 North Farview Avenue in Paramus, New Jersey.
- September 15. 1:30 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church, 357 North Farview Avenue in Paramus, New Jersey.
- September 19. 6:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church, 357 North Farview Avenue in Paramus, New Jersey.
Schedule an Appointment
For all auditions, singers must make an appointment in advance by contacting (201) 886-0561 or email@example.com. In addition, applicants complete and submit an application. Download an application here.
Under the direction of Associate Conductor/Chorus Director Michael Wittenburg, the Verismo Opera Chorus performs live singing in Italian. Preparation includes instruction in the pronunciation of the text in Italian, vocal warm-ups, learning and memorizing the words and music and following detailed staging. Moreover, the opera is fully staged. Notably, the cast performs in costume accompanied by an orchestra led by Principal Conductor/Music Director Maestra Lucy Arner.
Male singers, representing all vocal ranges and ages, are especially needed. In addition, adult applicants require a rudimentary working ability to read music and experience singing. Teenagers, ages 17 to 19, may also audition for the Verismo Opera Chorus and must read music and have some prior vocal experience singing with a school, choir, or another performing group or organization. Previous stage experience and foreign language study are desirable, but are not a necessity. Applicants with these skills and experiences receive preference.
The audition process covers several areas. During the audition, a pitch matching and range exercise assesses each singer’s appropriate placement within the chorus. Furthermore, applicants may bring a short song to perform for the audition. Furthermore, vocalists accepted to the Verismo Opera Chorus stay for the rehearsal that evening as a trial basis. Singers invited to join the chorus pay a nominal fee of $60. This fee assists to cover costs for the production’s musical score, costumes, and related expenses.
The audition site is handicapped accessible and designated handicapped parking is available in the parking lot. In addition, restrooms are available for wheelchair access. The New Jersey Association of Verismo Opera commits to ensure its programs and services are accessible. Vocalists requiring a special accommodation or with specific questions about the physical features of a facility where Verismo Opera performs may call (201) 886-0561 at least two weeks prior to the audition.