Artistic Director Lucine Amara announces these ten finalists in the New Jersey Association of Verismo Opera’s 30th Annual International Vocal Competition:
- Soprano Samarie Alicea (New York, New York)
- Soprano Joowon Chae (New York, New York)
- Tenor Hyunho Cho (New York, New York)
- Soprano Holly Flack (Midland, New Jersey)
- Baritone Joseph Gansert (Bronxville, New York)
- Soprano Hayan Kim (New York, New York)
- Bass Seunghee Lee (Austin, Texas)
- Soprano Hyeree Shin (New York, New York)
- Baritone Gerardo de la Torre (Mexico)
- Tenor Tianchi Zhang (Jersey City, New Jersey)
Vocal Competition Offers Free Master Classes
Finalists selected to perform in the vocal competition may also attend two free master classes on December 4 and December 7. Furthermore, during the master classes led by Evelyn La Quaif, artists learn deportment, language, style and presentation at auditions. Finalists also receive feedback. Upon request, the judges’ comments are also sent to all the preliminary participants and finalists.
The last phase of the competition takes place on December 11 at Shetler Studios in New York City in the United States of America. Pianist Saffron Chung accompanies the finalists. Winners also receive cash awards totaling $3,500 ($2,000 first prize, $1,000 second prize and $500 third prize).
This luminary panel of judges officiated at the preliminary auditions: Maestra Lucy Arner, Music Director/Principal Conductor, New Jersey Association of Verismo Opera and Evelyn La Quaif, General Manager and Stage Director, New Jersey Association of Verismo Opera. Also, these judges served on the panel: director/coach Simon Saad; and voice teacher/audition coach Dillon McCartney. In addition, the New Jersey Association of Verismo Opera thanks these volunteers for their contributions to the competition: Alicia Weschler, coordinator; Mary Ellen Rohon, monitor; and Frances Rosario-Puleo, monitor.